About Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center
Since 1948, Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center (GCRMC) has been a healthcare leader for the citizens of Otero County. Our mission is simple. We want to be the organization where patients choose to come for care, physicians want to practice, and people want to work. Ultimately, we want to be South Central New Mexico’s leading provider of affordable, high quality healthcare. At GCRMC, we provide an environment for our employees that encourages innovation and dedication, via a participative management system and one that correlates performance and rewards.
About the Behavioral Medicine Department
Due to the recent expansion of our Behavioral Medicine program from 17 to 38 beds, additional RNs are needed to staff our behavioral medicine wing’s two units: Adult/Military and Geropsych.
Adult/Military: With two nearby military bases, we offer PTSD treatment for both active military and civilians. Patients with other mental illnesses are also treated on our unit.
Geropsych: Inpatient and outpatient programs that provide individualized treatment for older adults suffering from mental illness. We also provide ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) when indicated, for patients who have not responded to other treatments.
The acute inpatient unit offers treatment for individuals with a primary psychiatric diagnosis. The intensive outpatient program provides treatment Monday through Friday in the least restrictive environment possible, and patients are able to return to their homes each evening.
Click here to learn more about the Behavioral Medicine Nursing at GCRMC
With a low 6:1 patient-to-nurse ratio, Psych/Mental Health Nurses have many opportunities to establish caring and therapeutic relationships with their patients.
Nurses and the treatment team work collaboratively to provide patients with individualized treatment plans that may include:
- Individual, Group, and Family Therapy
- Coping - Positive Living Skills, Grief and Loss Resolution
- Medication Management Education
- Health and Wellness Training
- Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Stress Management
- Assertiveness Training
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates proficiency and critical thinking in the care of patients and their families/significant others by applying and documenting the nursing process; assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Consults with staff, physicians and management about patient care and unit issues.
- Interprets and implements hospital policies to ensure patient needs are m
- Continues to learn new skills and maintains clinical competency within the department to provide quality, safe nursing care.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide services based on the physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and other related needs of behavioral health patients.
- Approaches patients, visitors, families, and coworkers with dignity and respect. Intervenes when necessary, in order to achieve positive outcomes for all involved.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to mental health and responsibilities associated with these.
- Participates in hospital and department quality activities.
Shift schedule: Day Shift - 7a - 7p; 1 weekend per month
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing, baccalaureate degree preferred
- New Grad Orientation to Mental Health/Assigned Preceptor
- New Mexico State Registered Nurse Licensure
- Current BLS certification (or within one month of employment). ACLS within 6 months of employment. Able to communicate effectively in English (additional languages preferred)
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Basic computer skills
- Shift Differential Pay
- On Call Pay
- Team Leader Pay
- Resource Pool Pay
- Education and Training
- Experience Credit
- Certification Pay Differential or Hiring Bonus
- Education Assistance
- Preceptor Pay
- BSN/MSN Degree Pay
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Dental/Vision Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Generous sign on bonus
- Relocation Assistance
- 401K matching
- Direct Deposit
- Generous PLT (Paid Leave Time)
- Major Medical Bank (Paid Sick Time)
- Holiday Pay
- Rewards and Recognition
- Eligibility to Qualify for the Daisy Award
- Merit Increases/Evaluations
- Clinical Ladder
- Referral bonus
- Long service bonus
- Holiday parties
- Free meal in the cafeteria
- Employee of the Month
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retail Discounts for Employees
Apply today. Our short application process takes less than 5 minutes with your phone, tablet or computer.
To learn more about how you can become an RN on our Behavioral Health team and a valued member of the Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center family.